Santa Fe has a long tradition of magical holiday lights that glow with the warm spirit of tradition. Throughout the Santa Fe holidays, farolitos line the streets and rooftops of houses and businesses in Santa Fe. These warm, glowing lights against adobe walls and snow-lined landscapes are a photographer’s dream and some of the most photographed scenes in Santa Fe— during the holiday season. During your stay in Santa Fe, you’re sure to find an abundance of opportunities to frame the perfect shot. Even better, that perfect shot can win you the chance for Santa Fe getaway. Keep reading to learn more about our “My Santa Fe Holiday” Instagram contest. But first, let’s learn about little more about these holiday traditions that include farolitos and luminarias! Camera in hand?
Though “farolitos” and “luminarias” are often interchangeably used to name the soft glowing lights, in Santa Fe and northern New Mexico, there is a long-held distinction between farolito, meaning a small lantern, and luminaria, meaning a small vigil fire or bonfire. The farolitos are constructed of a brown paper bag, sand, and a votive or tea candle. The luminaria is traditionally constructed of fragrant piñon branches crisscrossed and stacked like a small box. With New Mexico’s large Catholic population, farolitos and luminarias traditionally have had a religious, symbolic significance for lighting the way of the Holy Family on Christmas Eve.
These warm lights are also used to mark a home hosting Las Posadas, a neighborhood re-enactment of Joseph and Mary’s search for a place to stay (a “posada” is an inn) which takes place each night for nine nights before Christmas and includes singing, praying, and sharing of traditional holiday dishes.
Now that you know a little more about farolitos and luminarias, it’s time to capture the perfect photograph. Get into winter and show your love for the Santa Fe holiday season by posting and sharing your photographs on Instagram. The [blog_link url="https://santafe.org/Promotions/My_Santa_Fe_Holiday/index.html" text="#MySantaFeHoliday" date="2016-12-20"] contest is simple: Follow [blog_link url="https://www.instagram.com/cityofsantafe/?hl=en" text="@cityofsantafe" date="2016-12-20"] on Instagram. Post and tag your favorite Santa Fe holiday photo to Instagram. Be sure to tag @cityofsantafe and use the hashtag #MySantaFeHoliday. Finally, share your photo and get your followers to ‘like’ your photo for your chance to win your Santa Fe Getaway. Remember, the Grand Prize winner will be selected on the total number of “likes”!
Here’s what you’ll win:
- Two-Night Stay At Any [blog_link url="http://www.hhandr.com/" text="Heritage Hotels & Resorts Property" date="2016-12-20"]
- ＄300 [blog_link url="http://goldeneyesantafe.com/" text="Golden Eye" date="2016-12-20"] Gift Certificate
- Lunch For Two At [blog_link url="http://andiamosantafe.com/" text="Andiamo!" date="2016-12-20"]
- Dinner for Two at [blog_link url="https://www.destinationhotels.com/inn-at-loretto/dining/luminaria-restaurant-patio" text="Luminaria Restaurant" date="2016-12-20]
- [blog_link url="http://www.newmexicoculture.org/visit/culturepass" text="Museum Passes For Two" date="2016-12-20"] Museum Passes For Two
- Two Santa Fe [blog_link url="https://santafe.org/Visiting_Santa_Fe/Self_Guided_Tours/Margarita_Trail/index.html" text="Margarita Trail Passports" date="2016-12-20"] Margarita Trail Passports
You’ll find delight in discovering so many gorgeous photo opportunities in The City Different. Enter the #MySantaFeHoliday Instagram contest and you could win a Santa Fe Getaway . You’ll want to order the new [blog_link url="https://santafe.org/Visitors_Guide/index.html" text="2017 Santa Fe travel guide" date="2016-12-20"] 2017 Santa Fe travel guide. There are also great [blog_link url="https://santafe.org/Visiting_Santa_Fe/Specials/" text="deals and specials" date="2016-12-20"] to help you plan your Santa Fe getaway.